Sunday 8 November 2009

New E-Book's This Week!

There's a whole new batch of really diverse e-books from Chipmunka this week, worth checking out!:

Where is the Key? - Sheila Brook

"This book follows on from when the story of my childhood, told in ‘Child of the Thirties,’ ended. I begin this memoir in the summer holidays after I left school in 1945; free time in those days is very different from free time today! My mother was still in a psychiatric hospital. I have tried to contract the events of over sixty years into a single book, giving a personal view of some the many changes that have occurred in society, together with some incidents in my personal life. I discuss a number of issues concerning the changes in care of the mentally ill. There are many contrasts made between aspects of life during the past sixty years with expectations and aspirations of today.

Constancy is a theme that occurs throughout the book. The constancy of my father’s concern for my mother; his regular visiting, and unsuccessful attempt to have her living at home again; his lonely life was impressed upon me as I wrote. In 1959 I met m mother again, and saw her for the first time in twenty years. From then on I kept in constant touch my mother, visiting her regularly until she died in 1992
"

As The Cold Wind Blows - Mark Jones

"‘The sickening murders of two close friends, Imelda Hart and Mabel Bright, begin a terrifying and sinister journey into the strange happenings of a small English town where sleep can mean torture, extreme psychological torment, and ultimately death for millions of other people worldwide. To fall asleep means to be watched by those who have appeared from nowhere and sleep when their work is done. The long, black, deathly cars patrol the streets now owned by this group of unknown, evil and crazy men called the Masters. On the streets their drones, powered by thoughts and callous orders, collect wandering spirits and still wide-awake souls for the nightmarish world they have created.

Min, Ritchie and their friends find themselves caught up this seemingly unending hell. The Masters can take you when you are awake and also while you sleep, in a place where the real world and the imaginary one collide with devastating consequences.

The Masters and drones are symbols, symbols of something else, deep within the subconscious mind, creating a strange scenario that just won’t let anyone go – not today, tomorrow or at any time in the future, whether in this world or the next.
"

Christmas Poems - Zekria Ibrahimi

"This difficult volume is about the far side of Christmas. We prefer to see only the tree and the tinsel, the mere exterior, and we forget, neglect, ignore the inner soul of religion. And religion can be the most dangerous thing of all...

How is this a schizophrenic spin on the Yuletide trivialities? Here is a querulous book that does not witness Christmas and all Christianity through the gaze of respectability, but through the poisoned eyes of the doomed homeless outsider. Some of the verse- which aspires to be as dubious and questionable as possible- was actually done on a psychiatric ward. Christmas and the Faith become emblems of that conventionality which may be so choking for a schizophrenic. The two faces of Christmas- the cynical and the celebratory- are bleakly investigated.

Christmas on a psychiatric ward! This is able to be the most pathetically poignant period of all for a patient. Amidst the loud crackers and the greasy mince pies, and those cards and presents from the nurses and other patients, after the all too flatulent Christmas dinner, the merciless medication is still to be dealt out. The schizophrenics are still locked up. Baby Jesus does not intend to liberate the lunatics...

So we offer Christmas, Easter and the Church through a schizophrenic’s shattered prism, with everything intentionally deformed, everything chaotically distorted! "


Goodbye Ana - Kate Le Page

"'Goodbye Ana’ is Kate Le Page’s first publication of poetry. This collection of poems shares the author’s battle to achieve and maintain recovery from anorexia nervosa. The work offers the reader a powerful, emotive insight into what life is really like when viewed through the eyes of an anorexic.

This book aims to explain the cognitive distortions that accompany starvation and seeks to hold the sufferer captive as well as to challenge the many misconceptions about the illness. "

Trust Yourself - Alexandria R Wesley

"The book is a story of my childhood written in poems. I am an incest survivor. As a child I was forced to take part in many rituals as my family worshiped satan. Many times I thought I would be killed. I was also forced to abuse others. These poems were written over seven years as I learned these things about my family and myself, as I learned the history that I was brought up to believe wasn't true. Instead of a perfect christian home, I was abused, and brought up to worship satan. "

Poetic Licence - Blu Tyler

"My poems are very self explanatory and some have sharp twists.

I went to university, but was bullied really badly, i had to go to hospital because of it, when I returned to university i was again bullied, and the my art department including teachers treated me really badly, and did not help me, even after i left i asked help in getting things like documents and they did not help.

this situation made me worse and i went to a crisis center and again to a hospital, all the people around me did not help me at all and even one of the doctors tried to blame me about things that happened in university, in a later incident the same person asked me if I found her rude, I skilled fully avoided her question, as doctor and nurses have a lot of power, better not to piss them off, one of my workers after painful months finally acknowledged what I went threw and the truth of the matter, where as my social workers and others wouldn't.

This really helped me, unfortunately that was not the end...

I have had mental health problems and people around including nurses and hospital workers have treated me badly, also the patients, my social worker not knowing what my diagnoses is, start telling me am I laughing because I am hearing voices? "

No comments: